On June 25, FHA held the first Infection Prevention National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Workshop at the corporate office in Orlando, FL. Tara Rhone and Sonia Alvarez, both quality improvement specialists from Health Services Advisory Group, lead attendees in a discussion and interactive session on the NHSN, which is the system used by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, state departments of health and hospitals to report and track progress on reducing healthcare-associated infections.
The program provided:
- An overview of the NHSN infection tracking system
- A review of the importance of data quality and the value of monitoring adverse events
- A demonstration on how to use NHSN for accurate and efficient tracking and trending of healthcare-associated infections
- A summary of the data submission requirements for regulatory compliance
- An overview of the NHSN reports that support data analysis for the purpose of high-quality, actionable data
Florida Infection Preventionists had a fun break in the robust program schedule to pose for a group photo for the HRET HIIN Selfie Statement Campaign and tell us about "why they do, what they do." Check out the FHA #WhyImHIIN slideshow to see what they had to say. We encourage all FHA members to take a selfie with your statement and send it to HIIN@fha.org.
This informative, in-person workshop was well-attended with more than 30 participants representing the following FHA Mission to Care HIIN hospitals and member organizations:
- Baptist Medical Center Jacksonville
- Broward Health Coral Springs
- DeSoto Memorial Hospital
- Florida Hospital Dade City
- Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center
- Florida Hospital Zephyrhills
- Indian River Medical Center
- Jackson Hospital
- Lakeland Regional Health Medical Center
- Lakeside Medical Center
- Leesburg Regional Medical Center
- Orlando Health
- South Lake Hospital
- Tampa General Hospital
Thank you to everyone who attended the NHSN Workshop! The feedback received is appreciate, and we know you are ready to take it to the next level! FHA is excited to be planning the NHSN Workshop II scheduled for August 16, 2018. View more information and registration online!
For questions, contact Cheryl Love, RN, BSN, BS-HCA, MBA, LHRM, CPHRM, director of quality and patient safety, at 407-841-6230.