Telemedicine can improve the delivery of care in the community and acute care settings, as well as in the delivery of behavioral health services. Many Florida hospitals use telemedicine services due to proven efficacy in quality outcomes, reduction in length-of-stay, expedited treatment, improved patient safety and cost avoidance. These findings have been supported through research conducted by the American Telemedicine Association, which demonstrated that telemedicine:
- Reduces inappropriate admissions and readmissions
- Reduces emergency room visits, mortality and lengths-of-stay in the emergency room
- Increases positive, clinical outcomes
- Rates high in patient satisfaction and staff satisfaction
- Results in better management of care
FHA supports the use of telemedicine to increase patient access and improve quality of care while driving down costs. For more information, contact FHA Vice President of Government Affairs Crystal Stickle.